My Diorama Refection

The 2019 Year Five Diorama

This term we were constructed a diorama of Sovereign Hill. I learnt a lot about the gold rush and the Eureka Stockade. 

I think life in the 1850s on both the government side or the diggers side  would have been difficult because both would pose great risks of getting shot, pneumonia, tuberculosis and getting taken to gaol (jail). Business was also very hard to come by because mining and many other jobs were extremely dangerous. 

The time of the Eureka Stockade would have been extremely scary and dangerous with soldiers stabbing their bayonets into helpless diggers and shooting bullets into their dirty flesh. In my opinion it was good that the soldiers attacked by surprise and that there were not many diggers on guard because they were going to lose that battle anyway. It would only mean more blood spilt and more lives lost.

I think some famous and important figures are: Peter Lalor, he led the diggers into battle and was the ‘leader of the diggers.’ He also pledged for liberty and led the meeting at bakery hill.

James Scobie and James Bentley were also important figures because before the murder things where pretty bad but then when this happened it was like rubbing salt into the wound. 

Paige and I constructed the Wesleyan School for our diorama. The Wesleyan School is the third wealthiest school on the diggings. It is a church on Sunday and a school from Monday to Saturday.

I found you had to use maths when measuring the walls and roof of the diorama. We also used maths creating our map of Sovereign Hill and coding Sphero or Dash around the diorama. We had to use our reading skills when researching our building and writing to get it all on paper in the form of a list or visual diagram. 

We had to use imagination and curiosity when we found difficult obstacles in our way and to draw and write out our plan. We had to show communication and collaboration when working with our partner and knowledge and resilience when we had to step up and start working harder faster or more effectively.

My highlight was watching the mineshaft come together. I enjoyed crafting and creating the diagram and model. I think some advice would be to very carefully plan it out first so it is easier to construct. 

I think this was great fun and an awesome experience.

Have you ever made a diorama or a model? If so, what of?

Christian